As you may have heard, Microsoft is launching “phase two” of its new advertising campaign. And the new ads will not feature Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld. You can read more about the news in my Download Squad article. But I wanted to use this space to point out something: We in the media, even in the blogosphere, are not nearly as clever and funny as we think we are. Here’s a list of Seinfeld references various tech news sites used in their headlines:
- Seinfeld and Gates Ads Over: Not That There’s Anything Wrong With That! – All Things D
- Seinfeld takes the European carry-all, Gates takes the man-fur as the two part ways? – VentureBeat
- Microsoft Says: No Seinfeld For You! – Mashable
- It’s Not Gold, Jerry! – Wired Epicenter
- Microsoft + Seinfeld = Yadda, yadda, yadda – Download Squad
Some clearly work better than others. But all are just recycled jokes from an aging TV show.